Hazardous Waste Report: Frequently Asked Questions
This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.

Form #: 17-024 Guidance Documents Revised: 12/23/19

1. What is the Hazardous Waste Report?

The Hazardous Waste Report, commonly referred to as the “Biennial Report”, is a mechanism for the collection of information from hazardous waste generators and hazardous waste treatment, storage or disposal facilities. The report describes each hazardous waste generated, the activity by which the wastes are generated and the waste quantity. The report also lists the management method by which each waste is treated, recycled or disposed and the quantity managed. The Hazardous Waste Report data can be used by federal and state agencies for planning and developing regulations and compliance monitoring and enforcement activities.

2. Who is required to file a Hazardous Waste Report?

Title 128 - Nebraska Hazardous Waste Regulations require anyone subject to the requirements for large quantity generators (generates more than 1,000 kilograms (2,200 pounds) of hazardous waste per month) at any time during a calendar year and/or facilities that treat, store or dispose (TSD) of hazardous waste to prepare and submit by March 1 of each even-numbered year a Hazardous Waste Report for the reporting cycle. All one-time large quantity generators (also known as episodic large quantity generators) are required to report the total amount of hazardous waste generated for the entire calendar year and not just for the month(s) they were a large quantity generator.

3. How do I file a Hazardous Waste Report with the Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy (NDEE)?

In the past, the NDEE has required facilities to complete and submit a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 8700-13 A/B, or third-party reporting software to report their hazardous waste activities. However, for the 2019 reporting cycle, the NDEE will be requiring use of the RCRAInfo Industry Application. The use of EPA’s RCRAInfo web interface will greatly simplify and streamline the process from years past. Visit https://rcrainfo.epa.gov/rcrainfoprod/ * to create a log in and complete your report.

4. Can I update site information required on the Site ID form at the time of submittal of the Hazardous Waste Report?
Yes. It is important to notify of changes to facility name, address, site contact, owner/operator or any other changes to required data that have occurred since submittal of your last Site ID form. Please enter information describing the changes in Section 18 Comments of Site ID form. When entering information in the Comments Section, enter the section number and box number/letter to which the comment refers.

The interface of the RCRAInfo web application will also make this simple to update and submit while you are preparing your Biennial Report.

5. Does the NDEE require completion of all sections of the Site ID Form?

No. Completion of the following Site ID Form activities and waste descriptions are not required by the NDEE:
  • Section 10C. – Waste Codes for State Regulated (non-Federal) Hazardous Wastes
  • Section 11C. - Used Oil Activities
    • Used Oil Transporter
    • Used Oil Processor and/or Re-refiner
  • Section 11D. – Pharmaceutical Activities
  • Section 12. – Eligible Academic Entities with Laboratories
  • Section 13. – Episodic Generation
  • Section 14. – LQG Consolidation of VSQG Waste
  • Section 15. – Notification of LQG Site Closure for a Central Accumulation (CAA)
The RCRAInfo * Industry Application may not grey-out those boxes on your digital form, but they are not required.

6. Does the NDEE require completion of the Off-Site Identification (OI) Form?


7. Should universal waste be reported?


8. Who is required to sign the Certification of the Site ID Form?


9. When is the deadline to file the Hazardous Waste Report?

The 2019 Hazardous Waste Report must be completed on the RCRAInfo * web application by March 1, 2020.

10. What if I can’t make the March 1, 2020 deadline?

If you are unable to submit the report by March 1, 2020, you may request an extension of no more than 30 days. Your request for an extension must be made in writing and sent to the NDEE (see address below); must state the reason for which the extension is requested; must state the amount of additional time required to file the report (not to exceed 30 days, or April 1, 2020); and must be received by the NDEE no later than April 1, 2020.
Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy
Waste Compliance Section
1200 N Street
Suite 400, The Atrium
Lincoln, NE 68509-8922
(402) 471-4210
11. Does Nebraska require annual reporting?

No. Nebraska does not have a RCRA annual report requirement.

12. Are there any fees required for filing the Hazardous Waste Report?

No fees are required for filing the Hazardous Waste Report. However, failure to comply with Federal and State regulations regarding Hazardous Waste Reports may result in fines and penalties.

13. What documents would be helpful in filling out the forms?

To prepare the 2019 Hazardous Waste Report, you should consult your records on quantities and types of hazardous waste that your site generated, managed, shipped or received in 2019. Some records that may be helpful are:
  • Hazardous Waste Report forms submitted in previous years.
  • Records of quantities of hazardous waste generated or accumulated onsite including results of laboratory analysis of your waste.
  • Invoices related to waste management and contracts or tolling agreements with off-site facilities managing your wastes.
  • Hazardous waste manifest forms.
For reference, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has prepared a booklet for hazardous waste generators and for facilities that treat, store, or dispose hazardous waste to report their hazardous waste activities for calendar year 2019. The 2019 Hazardous Waste Report Instructions and Forms (8700-13(A/B)) may be viewed at https://www.epa.gov/hwgenerators/hazardous-waste-report-instructions-and-form * .

If you have any other questions, please contact the NDEE at (402) 471-4210.

* This Page contains links to Non-NDEQ websites, these links will open in a New Tab or Window