CFCs and Household Appliances/Vending Machines
This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.

Form #:  06-229
Guidance Documents
Revised: 12/16/16

Most large household appliances are banned from landfill disposal in Nebraska. Appliances that cannot be disposed of in landfills include all clothes washers and dryers, water heaters, heat pumps, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, freezers, trash compactors, dishwashers, conventional ovens, ranges, stoves, and wood stoves.

When these appliances are discarded and become waste items, the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ) recommends that they be recycled with special consideration given to the appliances that contain chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). A person who is trained and certified for recovery must remove CFCs. Refrigeration-type appliances, delivered for recycling, should have the CFCs removed or arrangements should be made to have the CFCs removed. The NDEQ recommends that appliances containing CFCs be segregated and stored so as to aid in the proper removal of CFCs. For questions related to CFC removal requirements, contact the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Stratospheric Ozone Protection Hotline at 1 (800) 296-1996, or go to*

Vending machines are not currently considered a household appliance; as such they are not subject to the land disposal ban. However, as they may contain refrigerant units and are delivered for recycling or disposal, the CFCs should be removed as described above.

For more information please refer to Neb. Rev. Stat. §13-2039 or Title 132 - Integrated Solid Waste Management Regulations, Chapter 1, §034.

  • NDEQ Waste Management Section (402) 471-4210
  • NDEQ Toll Free Number (877) 253-2603
  • NDEQ Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistant (402) 471-8308
  • Email questions to:
NDEQ Publications:

Titles are available on the NDEQ Home Page under “Laws/Regs & EQC”, “Rules & Regulations”

* This document contains links to non-NDEQ websites; these links will open in a new tab or window.

Produced by: Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, P.O. Box 98922, Lincoln, NE 68509-8922; phone (402) 471-2186. To view this, and other information related to our agency, visit our web site at