Focus On Planning & Aid
Title III - Community Right-To-Know
Emergency Planning (sections 301-303)

If any one of over 400 chemicals on the EPA list of Extremely Hazardous Substances (see Title III List of Lists*) is currently maintained at a facility above the planning quantities, the facility must notify the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC), c/o the NDEE. If a facility starts to produce, use, or store any of these substances (at regulated amounts), the owner or operator must notify the SERC (NDEE) within 60 days. EPA regulations (40 CFR part 370.20) define the quantity of each substance which subjects a facility to emergency planning requirements.

Many county governments have established
Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPCs). These committees must include elected officials and representatives of municipal departments, hospitals, community groups, the media and emergency facility coordinators if chosen. The committees are responsible for the development of comprehensive chemical emergency response plans. The plans identify regulated facilities, emergency response and notification procedures, evacuation plans, training programs etc. If a facility is subject to the emergency planning sections, it must designate a facility emergency coordinator to participate in the emergency planning process and notify the local committee of the designee.

To learn the status of the LEPC in your area, contact the
Nebraska Emergency Management Agency at (402) 471-7426. Or, click here* for a link to a page that provides SERC and LEPC information, located on the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency web site.

Consolidated List of Lists under EPCRA/CERCLA/CAA ยง112(r) (September 2021 Version) can be found at the following web location:*

Or, you can contact the EPA Public Superfund Docket at
(703) 603-9232, or the NDEE at (402) 471-8697.

* This Page contains links to Non-NDEE websites, these links will open in a New Tab or Window