Landowners and Farm/Ranch Operators
This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.

Form #: 06-196 Guidance Documents Revised: 1/6/23

Landowners and Farm/Ranch Operators
Management of Solid Waste

Dumping solid waste on private property has been prohibited since October 1, 1993. The purpose of this document is to assist landowners and farm/ranch operators in managing their solid waste. The information is based on commonly asked questions. If you need further clarification, please call the Waste Management Section of the Department of Environment and energy (NDEE) at (402) 471- 4210.

Building Demolition Wastes

There are exceptions to the rules regarding the dumping of solid waste on private property. The allowed exceptions are:

  1. The use of waste concrete, block, brick, concrete rubble or similar materials for purposes of erosion control, landscaping or land improvements.

  2. The disposal or use of trees and brush or the ashes resulting from burning trees and brush. A ban on open burning exists, so prior to setting a fire to destroy trees and brush, a permit from the local fire department must be obtained.

  3. The disposal of farm buildings on the property where they originated provided all hazardous materials are removed and the property is zoned for agriculture. Disposal of building demolition waste that did not originate on the farm/ranch property is prohibited.

Burn Barrels

The NDEE does not regulate the use of burn barrels for household waste. However, local city or county officials may regulate their use and should be contacted concerning the use of burn barrels in your area. Ash resulting from burning household waste must be disposed of at a permitted Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) landfill.

Junk and Scrap Agricultural Equipment

“Junk” includes but is not limited to: old scrap; copper; brass; iron; steel; wire; glass; rope; rags; batteries; paper trash; rubber; debris; demolition waste; abandoned mobile homes, dismantled or wrecked; untaxed, untitled or unlicensed vehicles or vehicle parts; and other old or scrap ferrous or nonferrous material. Property owners are prohibited from accumulating junk on property that is not purely agricultural in character to the extent that the junk is a potential hazard to health.

Waste Tires

Land disposal of waste tires is prohibited. However, the use of waste tires for agricultural purposes is acceptable in some instances. These acceptable uses consist of bumpers on agriculture equipment, ballast to maintain covers or structures on an agricultural site, feeders and water tanks for livestock, and bank or blowout stabilization (for areas not greater than ½ acre in size). For specific criteria on waste tires disposal and the placement of waste tires see the regulatory requirements for managing waste tires addressed in
Title 132 – Integrated Solid Waste Management Regulations, Chapter 14. See also NDEE Guidance Document “Landowners and Farm/Ranch Operators Use of Waste Tires for Blowout Stabilization”.

Waste Oil, Oil Filters, Batteries, Antifreeze and Pesticide Containers
  1. Land disposal of waste oil is prohibited. Waste oil should be recycled or reused. Local petroleum dealers should be able to put you in contact with recyclers or help you dispose of waste oil. Never mix waste oil with other liquid or solid wastes.
  2. Oil filters should be drained so that they contain no free liquids. This means oil filters should be crushed or punctured and drained, and/or dismantled and drained. Oil filters should be kept separate from other waste and disposed of at permitted landfills or recycled where possible.
  3. Vehicle batteries should be recycled. Landfill or land disposal of vehicle batteries is prohibited. Local dealers often collect used batteries or should be able to put you in contact with recyclers.
  4. Antifreeze should be recycled or reused. Never mix used antifreeze with used oil. Contact your local petroleum dealer for more information on disposal or recycling.
  5. Pesticide containers are considered non-hazardous solid waste if they are triple rinsed or power washed. Many areas of the state are developing pesticide container collection sites for recycling. Information about collection sites is available on the University of Nebraska website: At this website, select the Environmental Protection link.
  6. The Nebraska Recycling Directory, which lists recycling centers and information resources in the state, is available from the NDEE. To request a copy, please call (402) 471-2186. The directory is also available on the NDEE website (

Livestock Wastes

Composting livestock wastes (bedding and/or manure) and land application of livestock waste generated at your own livestock operation is exempt from Title 132 regulations as long as the operation is in compliance with
Title 130 –Livestock Waste Control Regulations.

Dead Animals

Please refer to NDEE guidance document 06-201, “Disposal of Animal Carcasses” for information on this topic.

Statewide Landfill Bans

The following items are banned from landfills or land disposal statewide. Contact your landfill or hauler for details.
  • Yard wastes (April 1 to November 30)
  • Waste oil
  • Lead acid batteries (car batteries)
  • Household appliances
  • Unregulated hazardous waste (except household quantities)
  • Waste tires (in any form)


  • NDEE Front Desk (402) 471-2186
  • NDEE Toll Free Number (877) 253-2603
  • NDEE Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistant (402) 471-8308
  • Email questions to:

NDEE Publications:
  • NDEE Guidance Document – ABCs of Demolition
  • NDEE Guidance Document – Construction and Demolition Waste in Nebraska
  • NDEE Guidance Document – Disposal of Animal Carcasses
  • NDEE Guidance Document – Have you Considered Alternatives to Landfilling or Burning?
  • NDEE Guidance Document – Landowners and Farm/Ranch Operators Use of Waste Tires for Blowout Stabilization
    Guidance is available on the NDEE Home Page under “Publications & Forms”

  • Title 130 – Livestock Waste Control Regulations
  • Title 132 – Integrated Solid Waste Management Regulations

  • Titles are available on the NDEE Home Page under “Laws/Regs & EQC”, “Rules & Regulations”

Produced by: Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy, P.O. Box 98922, Lincoln, NE 68509-8922; phone (402) 471-2186. To view this, and other information related to our agency, visit our web site at