The Swimming Pool Program provides oversight and inspections of public swimming pools. Staff inspect all public swimming pools/spas located at hotels, apartments, municipalities and recreational facilities. During inspections staff check water chemistry, safety equipment, personnel training and mechanical areas.
The program also provides training to individuals who would like to become pool operators within the State of Nebraska. The certified operator must supervise the operation of the water treatment facilities to ensure safe water, both from a physical and bacterial standpoint. Daily records of the pool operation including attendance, chemicals used, disinfectant residuals, pH, equipment maintenance, and accidents must be maintained.
Every Class A (municipality type) pool shall be under the immediate supervision of a Nebraska swimming pool operator who shall be held responsible for compliance with all provisions of the regulations relating to equipment, pool operation and maintenance, and safely of bathers.
Every Class B (motel, hotel, apartment type) pool and Class F (fitness facility type) pool must have a Nebraska swimming pool operator available within 60 minutes of the facility.
Outside of Lancaster County.
The training and exam are online. Anyone in Nebraska may take the class and exam held by the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department.In Lancaster County.
- You must enter your own email address, not a shared address. Exam access is granted via email.
- Mail the completed application and $40 fee to NDEE. Check or money order payable to NDEE. We accept one check for multiple applications.
- Once the application and fee have been processed, you will receive an email with instructions to access the online exam, along with an online video and study materials 3-5 business days following receipt of your application and fees. (If no email, please check your spam/junk folder for: NE OCIO SecureFTP Director firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Read the study materials, watch the video, and take the exam within 30 days of receipt of the email.
- Upon completion of the exam, with a passing score of 70% or higher, the Department will email you instructions to print your certificate.
Pool operators working within Lancaster County must take the class offered by the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department (LLCHD). Anyone in Nebraska may alternately take this class and exam to become a swimming pool operator. The fee for the LLCHD class is $60. Click here to view the class schedule.*
Regulations and Statutes
Swimming Pool Engineering SectionThe Engineering Section conducts these reviews and issues construction permits for all new public swimming pools, which includes spas, and modifications to these facilities as defined in Title 178 NAC 2. Per the Environmental Safety Act, all public swimming pools are required to submit plans and specifications for review and approved by the Departmentprior to construvtion.
* This Page contains links to Non-NDEE websites, these links will open in a New Tab or Window